The home of school assemblies and class plays for children (KS1 and KS2) and guided reading play scripts for primary and secondary schools. Scroll down for topical suggestions or click on My Plays
above for the full catalogue.
I have over 400 scripts on this website – all of which you should be able to find using the search facility. If however you have something more obscure in mind, or just need some guidance, please do not hesitate to contact me via email [email protected]. It might be quicker and easier and I am always happy to help! Sue
Newest set of scripts
Beatrix Potter Tales re-written/adapted as plays. I am working through 20 plus that I have (a 21st birthday present from a couple of years ago!?!), dividing them up into groups of 5 tales/plays with 6 speakers each – total of 30 speakers. These can be used as a PSHE and/or Literacy resource – they all come with tips on behaviour – this being within the content of the scripts, and the follow up Q & A/Discussion suggestions.
A quick word
A quick word from me, Sue Russell, to my customers, mainly teachers, at the beginning of Autumn Term. I have had a number of orders for mental health scripts recently which I cover in my PSHE section. I thought it might be helpful to list them below:
My current PSHE plays collection includes:
- You are Not Alone – Anti-Bullying Assembly (David and Goliath script in Bible Stories section)
- Rock Star – Self Esteem Assembly based on Hannah Montana
- P.R.I.D.E. Assembly and Guided Reading Scripts – set out to demonstrate the importance of P.R.I.D.E. – an acronym for Positive attitude; Respect for yourself and others; the ability to make Intelligent decisions; time to Dream; and not forgetting all the Effort that needs to be put in – in all walks of life. The sport (basketball) can be easily replaced by another. This Class Play provides the perfect way of demonstrating what it takes to make it in life – the kind of success story all children can aspire to. I have used these to cover many events e.g. World Cup (football and rugby), Olympics etc See individual plays inthe relevant sections.
- Happy to be me Assembly
- Being Positive Assembly
- Not Afraid of Failure Assembly
- Love is … Assembly
- Mutual Respect Assembly (available in Key Stage I as Respect Assembly)
- Character Assembly – What it Takes To Be Good
- Good and Bad Assembly
- *Feeling Sad Assembly
- *Good to Talk – 2 speaker script
(*These two scripts tackle the problem of talking about sadness – prompted by Feb 4th 2016 Time to Talk Day, as initiated by the charities MIND and Re-think)
- If – Rudyard Kipling Assembly
- Children’s Rights Assembly – based on the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child
- On-Line Safety Assembly
- Risk and Safety Assembly
- British Values Assembly
- Fairer World assembly
- Fairer and More Sustainable World Assembly
- Superheroes Assembly – 2 versions available – for KSI and KSII
- Twelve New Labours of Hercules (‘spin off’/reversal of Superheroes KSII script – Hercules required to take on 12 character-changing challenges!)
- Monsters Assembly
- Children of the World Assembly
- Dance Around the World Assembly
- I have also started a set of PSHE KSI and KSII scripts based on fairy stories – Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty (alternative versions) – which deal with certain themes – serious subjects but handled with sensitivity and humour.
Guided Reading Scripts:
In the case of this latter, the story is followed by the guided reading script, then by a discussion/question and answer session.
The stories and guided reading scripts are 5 – 10 minutes in length.
Total Reading time: Around an hour
The 5 guided reading scripts have 2 speakers each – total of 10 altogether.
Life Lessons (PSHE)
II.How the Butterfly Lost her Dissatisfaction
III.How the Butterfly Lost his Vanity
IV.How the Butterfly Learned to Fly
V.How the Butterfly Learned to Fly Higher
The life lessons for each of these are as follows:
- Appreciate what you have
- Stop ‘wanting’/looking for more
- Recognising that external beauty is not everything
- Just do it!
- The importance of striving/realising your potential
Script of the Week
Each week I will choose a play or set of plays on a particular subject and make it available, on purchase, with free performing rights benefits i.e. free word document to accompany purchased pdf script. For details of this week’s choice, read on!
Beginning of new school year – what better time than to go with positive theme of New Year Resolutions. Assemblies for these can be found in the PSHE section of this website and are listed below under Script(s) of the week.
As my Script(s) of the Week I am going to go with New Year Resolutions
- New Year Resolutions Assembly
- New Year Assembly
- New Year Assembly based on Character: What it Takes to be Good!
- Also available: a script based on Rudyard Kipling’s If which deals with character – along with several other scripts in the PSHE section
For those of you thinking ahead to Christmas, here is a selection of class plays, assemblies and pantomimes you may want to consider:
A. Christmas Class Plays, Assemblies and Pantomimes with cast of around 30
- Christmas Carols Assembly
- Christmas Advent Calendar Assembly
- What Do You Want For Christmas Assembly
- St. Nicholas Day Assembly – Who is the real Father Christmas?
- Nativity Play – Welcome to Our Party – 2 versions, for Key Stage I and II;
- Nativity Play Crisis (this one should come with a public health warning!)
- A Christmas Carol – short play version of the original Dickens
- The Meaning of Christmas – The Conversion of Scrooge
- Christmas Spirit – The Conversion of Mrs Scrooge!
- Nutcracker Christmas Assembly
- Snow White Pantomime – special extended version of Snow White and the 22 Dwarfs – a panto with a difference! 10 – 60 mins, 30 – 60 characters!!
On being requested to extend my Snow White and the 22 Dwarfs to accommodate a year group of 60, I thought why not team those 22 dwarfs up with 22 elves – with a few reindeer (and Father Christmas) thrown in?! This is a Snow White as you’ve never seen it – twists and surprises all along the way, perhaps some of the worst jokes you’ll hear this year – and what about The Mirror … checking out Facebook!?! As the script can be used for performances of 10, 45 or 60 mins and has the option of cast size 30 or 60 this has to be one of the most versatile pantomimes around! Comprehensive Production Notes make the seemingly impossible, possible!
- Sleeping Beauty Pantomime
- Cinderella Christmas Play
- Wonderful Wizard of Oz Christmas Play – if you order the Wonderful Wizard script (minus Xmas additions), you will get this one for free – as the original text has just been tweaked.
- Fairy Tale Pantomime
- Pinocchio Pantomime
B. Small Cast Plays – with 6 speakers
- Babushka A Christmas Story from Russia
- Poinsettia A Christmas Story from Mexico
There are plenty of scripts for earlier in the Autumn Term – e.g. Harvest Thanksgiving and Halloween. I aim to cover all topics so do let me know if there are any missing!
I am always happy to ‘write on demand’ so if you have any special requests re: scripts I haven’t hitherto thought of, let me know!
The following are scripts on how to improve our life style – always topical!
In a bid to get our school children to live more healthily I am writing a series of assemblies/class plays on such subjects as eating and exercise. See
What is special about my site
- My school assemblies and class plays scripts are written by a teacher for teachers at both primary and secondary level
- The service I offer is highly personalized – I deal with each customer as an individual – all enquiries answered within 24 hours
- A huge range of teaching material, for Key Stage One (KS1) and Two (KS2), allowing limitless cross-curricular links.
- We can provide ready to perform school assemblies on a vast range of topics
My school assemblies scripts offer:
- A lively and entertaining way to deliver the school curriculum.
- A huge range of teaching material, for Key Stage One (KS1) and Two (KS2) and Three (KS3), allowing limitless cross-curricular links.
- The total involvement of all children and young actors in drama – presenting opportunities both for reading and acting out play scripts allowing further discussion.
- Participation in school drama increases the confidence of children in speaking out.
- Different viewpoints can easily be presented through school theatre and the coverage of sensitive issues can be dealt with in a non-threatening way.
- Role play opportunities in drama scripts bring characters alive.
For a quick summary of the range of my plays visit:
Category listings can be found under my plays in the Navigation bar above.
These plays can be used within the classroom as class plays; or as performance pieces i.e. in front of the school, as assemblies.
Lots of good positive advice to start us all off on the right foot for 2019!
- Assemblies and Class Plays – Based on a class of 30. Suitable for performing within the classroom or in front of the school. Ready to deliver, with suggested songs, props and production notes.
- Performance Poems – To read in groups in class, or as whole class performance.