Some of my favourite quotations!
In the course of my research, I come across so many amazing quotations – some of which I manage to use in my plays, but too many of which I have to leave out – otherwise you’d be looking at double the length!
So here are a few of my favourites – if you have any ‘gems’ do let me know by email! I remember trying to put a new one up in the classroom at the beginning of each week – to add some (at times much needed) inspiration! …. I seem to remember “Don’t let what you can’t do get in the way of what you can do” being a tough one to follow! Anyway, here we go – hope you find some of these uplifting!
- A life making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all (St. Patrick)
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall (Ernest Shackleton) … one for the ski slopes perhaps!
- Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase (Martin Luther King)
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter (Martin Luther King)
- Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless (Mother Theresa)
- Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier (Mother Theresa)
- You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist (Gandhi)
- Success is the ability to go fom one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm (Churchill)
- We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give (Churchill)
- Today is the day that you can choose to make a difference, to your life or to someone else’s. Do something wonderful! (Katie Piper)
- Every day is a brand new day; put yesterday behind you, deal with tomorrow when it comes, and let today be positive and productive. (Katie Piper)
On a lighter note:
- If I had my life to live again I’d make the same mistakes … only sooner (Tallulah Bankhead)
- I’m at an age when my back goes out more than I do (Phyllis Diller)
- You know you’ve reached middle age when your weightlifting consists merely of standing up (Bob Hope)
- At my age I don’t care if my mind starts to wander just as long as it comes back again (Mike Knowles)
- Don’t eat health foods! You need all the preservatives you can get! (Anon)
- Old age? That’s the period of life when you buy a see-through nightgown and then remember you don’t know anybody who can still see through one (Bette Davis)
- Don’t worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you (Joey Adams)
- At my age, when a girl flirts with me in the movies, she’s after my popcorn (Milton Berle)
Taken from ‘Movies’:
- I’ve seen roadkill with better reflexes! (“Chicken Little” – on attempts at baseball)