Beatrix Potter Assembly for Key Stage I Part III based on Tales 11 – 15:
Part III consists of the Tales of:
- Tittlemouse (cast of 6)
- Timmy Tiptoes (cast of 6)
- Johnny Town-Mouse (cast of 2)
- Tod (cast of 6)
- Pigling Bland (cast of 7)
Cast of 27 plus Narrator (this role to be taken by the Class Teacher):
Assemblies Part I, II and IV all have a cast size of 24. This one, Part III, has a cast size of 27 – so to stay consistent with cast size of 24, 3 characters will need to ‘double up’ – unless there are 27 children available to take the 27 parts.
Group I (6 speakers)
- Mrs. Tittlemouse (Thomasina)
- Ladybird (Mother Ladybird)
- Bumble Bee (Babbitty Bumble)
- Toad (Mr. Jackson)
Narrator: And may I just start by saying, I think you, Mrs Tittlemouse, should have a medal for your patience!
Mrs. Tittlemouse: (Laughing) Oh you mean all those unexpected guests!
Narrator: Unexpected and uninvited!
Beetle: First me
Mrs. Tittlemouse: With your little dirty feet!
Ladybird: Then me! You told me my house was on fire!
Narrator: A clever ploy! And it worked – you flew off to save your children!
Spider: Then me
Mrs. Tittlemouse: With your cobwebs
Bumble Bee: Then me
Mrs. Tittlemouse: With all your untidy dry moss
Toad: And then, me!
Mrs. Tittlemouse: Who made the worst mess of all – water everywhere!
Group II (6 speakers)
- Timmy Tiptoes
- Silvertail Squirrel
- Little Bird
- Mrs. Chippy Hackee – Chipmunk
- Mr. Chippy Hackee – Chipmunk
Narrator: It was a little strange you, Mr Chippy Hackee, being there as well! I mean, we all know how Timmy Tiptoes got down there
Silvertail Squirrel: With a shove from me
Little Bird: And a tweet from me!
Narrator: Oh dear! Just goes to show how much trouble one small tweet can cause!
Goody: Yes, I’m always warning people about Twitter!
Group III (2 speakers)
- Johnny Town-Mouse
- Timmy (Country-Mouse)
Narrator: Aha! The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
Timmy: (Indignantly) And me! I’m just as important in this tale!
Narrator: Indeed you are! I was just reading the title
Timmy: Huh! Typical that the town is seen as more important than the country!
Johnny: Now, look here, Country-Mouse
Timmy: Oh, you can call me, Timmy!
Narrator: Nice to know he has no airs and graces!
Johnny: And I do?
Narrator: Oh, of course not.
(To audience) Is it just me or do these two both have a bit of an axe to grind?
Now, Johnny – tell us what is so special about the town, where you live?
Group IV (6 speakers)
- Mr Tod
- Mr Brock
- Old Mr. Bouncer
- Benjamin Rabbit
- Peter Rabbit
Mr. Tod: Mr. Brock!
Narrator: Probably the worst, most evil character in all the tales (pauses) put together!
Mr. Brock: (Rubbing his belly) But I was hungry!
Flopsy: Taking my wee bunnies! Shame on you!
Mr. Todd: And making my homes yours!
Benjamin: A bad badger!
Peter: Fancy your dad letting him in!
(Old Mr. Bouncer covers his head in shame)
Group V (7 speakers)
- Aunt Pettitoes
- Pigling Bland
- Farmer, Mr. Piperson
Pigling Bland: And I never did get to market
Farmer: Shame about that!
Pig-Wig: You tried so hard to fatten us up!
Narrator: But you both saw through his little game? Well done!
Around 10 minutes reading time but this can, of course, be expanded, to allow more performance.
The lines/text is simple and short as appropriate for Key Stage I. If the teacher, who takes the role of narrator throughout all 21 tales (all 4 parts), wishes to release some of his/her lines to the more able/more confident in the class and add further text from the tales, then that is, of course, down to the teacher in charge. The idea of these scripts is to provide a template that can be edited according to the ability of the children.
Also available from www.plays-r-ussell.com are a set of guided reading scripts, written using the same format – 5 tales for Parts I, II and III, with 6 in Part IV; around 6 speakers per tale – the total number adding up to 30, each tale around 5 minutes in duration (not including Q&A/Discussion based around PSHE themes).
Choice of Music at the beginning:
- Music 1 – All things Bright and Beautiful
Or another ‘animal-based song’.
- Tale 1 The Tale of Peter Rabbit
- Tale 2 The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
- Tale 3 The Tailor of Gloucester
- Tale 4 The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
- Tale 5 The Tale of Two Bad Mice
- Tale 6 The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
- Tale 7 The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
- Tale 8 The Tale of Tom Kitten
- Tale 9 The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
- Tale 10 The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies
- Tale 11 The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse
- Tale 12 The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
- Tale 13 The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
- Tale 14 The Tale of Mr. Tod
- Tale 15 The Tale of Pigling Bland
- Tale 16 The Tale of Samuel Whiskers
- Tale 17 The Tale of the Pie and the Patty Pan
- Tale 18 The Tale of Ginger and Pickles
- Tale 19 The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
- Tale 20 The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit
- Tale 21 The Story of Miss Moppet